Make no mistake about it, buying an engagement ring is one of the most exciting, heartfelt, and joyous purchases you will ever make. Given the profound nature of this purchase, it can also be very intimidating and overwhelming. As to be expected, there is a lot of information necessary to understand what makes a diamond so special and what attributes set it apart from other diamonds. The best jewelers will walk you through the entire process and make you feel comfortable coming to a decision without being pressured. At Marks Jewelers, we take pride in our stress-free engagement ring shopping experience that covers all aspects of a diamond purchase. With that said, there are still a few things to think about that can ease your decision making process:
● It's hard to put a price on love but at the same time you don't want to compromise your financial position getting the ring of her dreams. It is important to have an idea of either what you can afford out of pocket or how much you can afford to pay on a monthly basis if you don't want to burden yourself too much at one time. Marks Jewelers and its lending partners offer competitive programs which allow you to pay for your ring over time, giving you more flexibility to choose exactly what you want.
● Take a look at what kind of jewelry she is drawn to. Having an idea of what styles she likes will make the selection process much more enjoyable. With styles so accessible on websites and social media you can usually find a few favorites (or perhaps she is dropping subtle and not-so-subtle hints) that will lead you in the right direction.
● Try to figure out her ring size. While there are systems in place to deal with not having her size available at the time of purchase, having it will make the occasion that much more special.
● Although trained professionals will walk you through the diamond education process, you may prefer to familiarize yourself ahead of time with the industry standards by which all diamonds are graded. Having a basic understanding may help you communicate better with the sales professional you are dealing with and give you a level of confidence in evaluating their ability.
● Understand your timeframe as it applies to an engagement ring purchase. If you have specific needs it may take some time to accomplish those goals. While many jewelry stores have pre-set rings that you could walk out of the store with, many purchases involve sourcing that special diamond or ordering the correct size of ring which can take up to 3-4 weeks.
Your shopping experience should be a positive one. Dealing with a jewelry store that has been in business for a long time, is not aggressive in its sales tactics, and takes all the time needed to make sure that you are completely comfortable with your purchase are characteristics of an experience that will bring happy memories for a lifetime. This is one of the most precious occasions of your life, you should work with people who will treat it as such.
Advancements in technology improves our ability to access the world and everything in it with greater ease every day. Diamonds and engagement rings are no exception to this rule. Every day tablets and smartphones become more capable of delivering you the products and experiences you are searching for. With all of the vendors online advertising diamonds and engagement rings it can be an overwhelming experience trying to decide how to make the most secure and educated purchase. Your goal should be to feel as confident as possible that the retailer you are purchasing from is providing you the highest quality product and service possible.
Buying a diamond online can be a very risky proposition. Here the centuries old adage “if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is” hold true. There are ways, however, to safeguard yourself as much as possible. One of the benefits of shopping online is the ease in which you can research a company. How long have they been in business? Do they have strong reviews and a substantial social presence? Is their customer service easily accessible, professional, courteous, and knowledgeable? What guarantees/warranties do they offer with their products? What is their return policy? How is shipping handled? Are they offering secure transactions? These are just a few questions that should be easily answered if you're doing business with a company online.
It is also important to make sure you have a clear understanding what factors affect the value of the diamond. These are called the four C’s: Cut; Color; Clarity, and Carat Weight. While nothing can replace physically examing a diamond for yourself, it is possible to feel confident in your decision based upon the transparency of the information supplied by the retailer. We strongly urge you to contact us if you have any questions in regards to any diamond or product that you may come across.
After your purchase, we recommend having an independent Gemologist confirm that your product matches what you were billed for. A purchase of this magnitude should come with absolute certainty and a second opinion on the quality of the goods you purchased is the perfect way to attain that level of confidence.